Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Recruiting Fix: Bye Week


Welcome to the Recruiting Fix. Not a whole lot to talk about this week but plenty of relevant information to keep you updated. Here we go.

2014 DB Rashaan Gaulden will return to see Tennessee against Bama on Oct 20.

“I think highly of them,” the safety prospect told ESPN. “I went to the game against Florida and the atmosphere was pretty hyped, so that made them climb my chart. I'm looking forward to going back there for the Alabama game.”

Defensive tackle Montravius Adams says he'll be here for the Alabama game on an unofficial visit. He wants to narrow his choices down to 6 after his season. He was also in Athens Saturday to watch UGA take on the Vols.

Alvin Kamara was in Athens to see the Bulldogs take on the Vols as well. He's probably off our radar at this point. I think we've zeroed in on the two backs we are going to take. I expect that Kamara will commit to Georgia at some point.

It looks like to get Vonn Bell, Tennessee is going to have to battle Ohio State and Urban Meyer. They are the competition. You have to like Tennessee if Dooley does enough to stick around. If there is a coaching change though, I would expect Bell to play in Columbus.

AJ Turman certainly enjoyed his visit to Neyland Stadium as he told Rivals.

"I could myself in their system. I liked how they use their running back. They give them the ball a lot. I could see myself playing there," Turman offered. "I just got back from FSU Sunday. It was crazy, too," Turman. "Tennessee was louder, though."

"I'm still taking my unofficials. I don't know when I'm going to take my officials because I'm still during my football season. It's easy for me to go to one place for a day, but it's hard for me to take my officials. I might wait until after the season," Turman said. "I'll go to Tennessee for an official. Tennessee, I think Georgia, maybe FSU. I don't know."

I'll continue to say that this guy will be a Vol. I think it's already done just not publicly.

JUCO WR Jatavius Stewart says he isn't hearing from the Vols much. “Hinshaw talks to me a lil. <sic> Not much really though.”

He does say he's trying to set up a visit. Just hasn't heard from Hinshaw lately.

I think Jalean Strong is the number one JUCO target right now and coaches are hoping to get him in for the 2013 class. There's still a chance though I think it's more likely he's a 2014 receiver. Amazing that it took David Williams to turn us on to this guy. The coaches love him. Williams was all set to be a Vol and then I feel that he was put on the back burner.

Tennessee has offered Strong. Hinshaw is recruiting him. Coaches will be in to see him during the bye week as well as his teammates NT Marquel Combs and TE Beau Sandland.

Williams will official for the Alabama game so maybe there is a thought of taking more than two running backs. That would surprise me but it is a possibility. I think it's more likely the coaches are confident with Green but also know things change and are looking at a contingency plan.

Bad news on Sandland though. He has to eliminate the SEC schools because he will not be able to take the required math class the SEC mandates for JUCO transfers and wants to graduate in December. This really sucks because he would have made an immediate impact. Lucas Wilson is our most likely replacement and it's not a good trade.

2014 wide receiver Josh Malone was here for the Florida game. He said he thinks Tennessee is headed in a “good direction”. He'll be back to see the Bama game.

Coach Conklin was out to see a 2014 recruit recently. His name is Nick Ruffin, he already has a Tennessee offer and says the Vols lead. Ends up at either DB or WR. I don't know which.

2014 Athlete Myles Autry continues to be a big target for Tennessee. He was at the UGA match-up and liked what he saw from Tennessee's offense. He told 247:

“I like Tennessee a lot. Their whole program, I mean, they’re fun to be around. Some of their fans, they hit me up on Twitter. I mean, I love their atmosphere and the environment in Knoxville.

He says he remains in constant contact with Jay Graham and will definitely make it back up to see Tennessee again.

Defensive end Carl Lawson, currently committed to Auburn “most likely” will visit for the Bama game. He stays in contact with UT coaches.

5 star F Austin Nichols will be an official visitor for the Bama game and will announce shortly thereafter.

2014 outside linebacker/de Bryson Allen-Williams will be at the Bama game. It's very early in his recruitment.

Tennessee became the first school to offer Georgia running back Nick Chubb. He is the leading rusher in the state of Georgia with 1,411 yards through 4 games. Watch this kid.

And check out this kid Orlando Brown. 6'9” and 376 lbs as a junior in High School. Everyone in the country has offered including us. He's from Georgia and is in the 2014 class.

Several of our coaches are out on the road during the bye week with more likely to follow. Josh Conklin is in Texas and heading to California. Darrin Hinshaw is in Kansas. Sam Pittman is heading to Hawaii.

Yannick Ngakoue is likely coming for the Bama game. So is his teammate Derwin Gray.

Rod Crayton may be in Starkville to watch the UT game on the 15th.

JUCO wide receiver Corey Smith who committed to Tennessee out of high school is not going to be an early enrollee. He continues to say we are on his list of top schools.

Texas TE Christian Morgan de-committed from FSU. A lot of folks think he is just waiting for a Texas offer, but I hope the coaches are all over this one. Kid can play.

That's all for this week. Stay tuned to me on Twitter @sabanocchio so you don't miss anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your info at the top mentioned recruits going to the UGA/TN game Saturday. That part is a little confusing. Rest looks good though. Thanks man!