Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Recruiting Fix: Running back U?


There really wasn't enough info to warrant doing a Recruiting Fix last week so we have skipped a week, but there's plenty of info here. Let's get right to it.

Derrick Henry says the Vols made a huge push but he still has Alabama out front for the moment. He came to the Florida game to watch how we used the running backs and noted there was a need for a running back of his caliber. I still think all signs have him committing to Alabama. He announces at 3:30 EST on Friday.

Derrick Green was another high profile running back present for the Florida game. He was hosted by Curt Maggitt and A.J. Johnson who he called “good guys” and said they spoke highly of the program.

He told Rivals "I like the way they use their backs, they have a lot of inside runs but they also throw a lot of screen passes," he said. "They need a running back, that's what the coaches told me. I talked to coach Dooley and Graham about that and they said they need a big, power back to make a difference."

He said also that Tiny Richardson pulled him aside and personally pitched him why he needs to play for the Vols.

"He told me what they were trying to build there, how important I was to their future and how much he wanted to block for me. It was a great speech honestly, I was really honored. To do that for a recruit after a tough loss was amazing. I want to go to a school that needs a big running back to play right away."

That certainly favors the Vols, I think. With a good showing in October when he is set to announce, I think we have a real shot at getting Green.

AJ Turman was also at the game. I really like him to be a part of this class when all is said and done. He didn't have a lot to say about the game except that he enjoyed himself and was impressed by the crowd. He was at FSU for the Clemson game and plans to visit UGA.

I expect he will commit once his round of visits are up but there is information out there that he is already a silent commit to the Vols. Things can change, but this is the information I have as of now.

Tight end Lucas Wilson said he had been looking forward to the game all week.

"Really, the atmosphere was unlike anything I had been to before,” he told Rivals. “I've been to some ACC schools but nothing like it was at Rocky Top," Wilson said. "Just how the atmosphere was, it was something different that I hadn't experienced before."

He says he plans on announcing in the next couple of weeks.

JUCO wide receiver Johnathan Rumph was here for the Akron game.

He says the Vols are sticking out the most to him right now. He really likes the offense and believes he can come in and help next year.

He still has visits to Georgia and Arkansas lined up but hopes to decide in the next month.

Yannick Ngakoue, now here's a guy to keep an eye on. Committed to Maryland but has since opened it back up. We reportedly finished second to Maryland so it's definitely worth watching. He's from the DC area and also reports interest in West Virginia, Maryland, Miami and South Carolina.

He has a great relationship with Coach Sal and likes how he could fit into our scheme.

"My ultimate goal is to be on the field and I'm looking for a situation that I can thrive in. I want to find a situation that can take me to the next level,” he told Rivals.

This guy is a big time playmaker and a guy who would be the best linebacker commit we have if we can land him. He and teammate Derwin Gray, a 4 star offensive tackle also committed to Maryland, plan on being here for the Bama game. They have a couple of 2014 teammates as well including Jalen Tabor, a highly recruited cornerback with offers to Alabama, Florida, Auburn and Tennessee.

Marquez North is the caliber receiver we have to continue to recruit. He had a great time on his Florida visit.

"The visit was good, that was the loudest place I've ever been and I've never seen so many people in one place," said the 6-foot-3, 205-pounder. "The atmosphere was really good and I got to speak to coach Dooley. I like the way they use their big receivers and they tell me that both Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson could leave early so I could step in right away and be that big receiver for them," per Rivals.

Tennessee is going to be in this one to the end which is encouraging. He really wants to play early and has the ability to step in right away and do so. He really likes Jay Graham who is recruiting him and likes our wide receiver-friendly offense. This one will not be over until closer to signing day. A good season with 7-8 wins and a bowl win would make a huge impression.

There's really not much to say about Jalen Ramsey. He enjoyed his visit, but I think it was just for fun even if it was on his own dime. Some say he went to see Florida more than Tennessee. I don't think he backs off his USC commitment and if he does, he likely ends up at Florida and not here. Time to move on.

Cornerback Shaq Wiggins who is committed to Georgia says he will still take visits among them Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

Running back
David Williams will official for the Bama game. Starting to look like we are full at running back which would push him toward South Carolina.

Kendell Beckwith is a guy to keep an eye on at jack linebacker. He will take an official to UT and it really depends on what position he wants to play I think, as to where he goes. Some think he's set for LSU at OLB others say he's a better fit at jack in Bama or UT's scheme. We have to land a guy for jack linebacker in this class and Beckwith is one possibility. We have to make an impression on his visit.

Watch 2014 kicker Aaron Medley. Many say he'll be the top rated kicker in the Nation in 2014 and word is he's a UT fan. He is definitely on the Vols radar. He's from Lewisburg, TN.

There were a lot of 2014 guys present for the Florida game. More than I can list. Quarterback Will Grier was there. He's one of the top Qbs for the '14 class. Of course Todd Kelly Jr. was there and we made quite an impression on defensive back Rashaan Gaulden who had Vandy as his leader prior to the game.

It is great that these guys have an early interest in Tennessee. The coaches are laying the groundwork for a special class next year.

No comments: