Monday, August 13, 2012

Notes from Titans practice 08/13/2012

Greetings from Nashville, Tennessee and the 10th practice of the Tennessee Titans open to the public for 2012. There are 3 more scheduled open practices before training camp is closed to the public. The last practice will be held on Sunday, August 19, 2012 from 3:30 until 5:30 p.m. The Titans play their second preseason game on Friday night, August 17, 2012 at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Mike Munchak announced today that Quarterback Jake Locker will start that game.

I thought Matt Hasselbeck had one of the best practices I have seen and I have only missed two open practices. He was energized, dynamic and his throws were right on the money. Matt throws a really nice ball too. Its fun to watch.

Jake Locker struggled a bit but completed most of his passes. He still runs a good offense and I fully support the decision to start him Friday night. However, I thought Matt had the better practice.

I thought Chris Johnson looked good today but he has generally looked good in practice. He made a nice catch out in the open field that would likely have gone for a touchdown. Javon Ringer continues to look good. Jamie Harper usually runs with the 3's but I continue to be impressed with him.









Herb Donaldson continues to impress me too. It's hard to tell but I wonder how close the competition is between those guys with the coaching staff. Donaldson spent the 2011 season on the Titans practice squad.

4th year man, and the star of the first preseason game, Darius Reynaud, mostly splits time with the 3's and 4's. The battle and competition there is an interesting one.



For my impression of first round draft pick Kendall Wright, see my blog post here http://breatheifyoulovefootball.blogspot.com/



Linebacker Colin McCarthy is an absolute terror on the field and i mean that in a good way. Its like the guy has a radar for the football and if you have any doubt where it is look for Colin because he will be there. Will Witherspoon has become a more vocal leader on defense. Akeem Ayers continues to improve. Linebacker Gerald McRath did not practice today.


I continue to be impressed with Kamerion Wimbley. That guy is an athlete and I don't say that because of American Ninja since I didn't watch it. I have watched him in practice and the dude is a beast. Let's hope he can solve our pass rushing problems.


A player who really stood out to me today was tackle Byron Stingley. Listed at 6' 5" and 313 he is a big agile guy. Its hard to get a feel for his game but I will definitely be looking Friday night to see how well he plays. The second team offensive line got extensive work today.


Another guy who has stood out just because he is a big lanky kid is tight end Joey Haynos. Listed at 6; 8" and 270 he is a 4th year man out of Maryland. I wonder if Frank Wycheck is pulling for the guy.



One finally note: Jared Cook just stands out from everyone else. I look for big things from him.


No comments: