Saturday, August 18, 2012

Notes from Titans vs vs Bucs




The quarterback battle is obviously on everyone’s mind and I wrote about it in a previous post. http://breatheifyoulovefootball.blogspot.com/2012/08/this-just-in-jake-locker-is-still-good.html  I still think the job is Jake Locker’s to lose but he must do better than he did Friday night vs the Buccaneers. I also think he needs one more start in the preseason. 




However, Matt Hasselbeck looked good. Hasselbeck is playing at a high level and could well win the quarterback battle. He looked really sharp last night. Side note: I greatly admire how those guys have handled the competition between them. Titans’ fans are lucky to have them both.

Darius Reynaud has been exciting to watch but he won’t make the roster at running back. That group will be Chris Johnson, Javon Ringer, Jamie Harper and Quinn Johnson. Instead I put him in the wide receiver group and designated him the returner. I also picked Marc Mariani over Lavelle Hawkins based solely on special team value. 

The Titans were very good in the trenches
The Defensive line was good. Real good. Jurrell Casey is equally as important to this defense as linebacker Colin McCarthy. Sen’Derrick Marks had a great game. I would still like to see Karl Klug get more playing time. Kamerion Wimbley and Derrick Morgan played very well. I like Egboh Pannel but I do wonder what else he brings to the table. You would like to think there is a higher ceiling to be seen with him.





The offensive line played well too. Particularly, I thought Fernando Velasco played well. There was some excellent blocking by both fullbacks which helped Chris Johnson in the run game, as well as some good blocking by the offensive line. Not to take any credit at all from CJ, who looked simply amazing. Good to see the old Chris Johnson return.





Other notes:
The tight end position is interesting. I think it is still up for grabs but I gave the Third TE slot to Taylor Thompson because I think he is such an outstanding athlete. I would be shocked if we kept more than 3 tight ends.
  


Zach Brown is improving by leaps and bounds and he had an outstanding game Friday night versus the Buccaneers. The Titans have long said he could start early but I couldn’t see anything in practice that made me think that was an option. However, Friday night against the Buccaneers he showed why the Titans drafted him in the 2nd round and why they think he will start early.  The competition between Brown and returning starter Will Witherspoon is an area to keep an eye upon. Can the young man unseat the incumbent?

No comments: