Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Titans Training Camp August 8, 2012

This is my first training camp report for Breathe If You Love Football and unfortunately it will be short because the practice itself wasn't very intense. However, I was able to take away a few things I hope will be of interest to you.

First, a note about training camp under Mike Munchak. It's different and I don't mean that in a bad way. I attended many of the training camps under former coach Jeff Fisher and it just seemed easier to evaluate talent at the various positions. Under Munchak it seems more cerebral and less physical. Harder to get a grasp on how physical these guys are going to be. Also, there appears to be far less unfettered loyalty to incumbents and more willingness to look at younger and/or newer guys. In any event, here are my thoughts from today.

Since everyone's mind seems to be on the quarterback battle let me start there. I will begin by saying Matt Hasselback and Jake Locker have handled this competition as professionally as you can possibly can from all appearances. I have tremendous respect for what Matt accomplished last year under the circumstances he was given. The Titans season would have been lost without him in my opinion.

Having said all that from my observations, and granted I have not been at every practice, but Jake Locker has been the overall better quarterback and he would get the nod if it were me. The offense seems to run smoother and with more quickness when Locker is under center. It will certainly be interesting to see how the first preseason game splits reps for those guys.

I finally had a chance to really pay attention to the defensive line and i must admit that the hype about ##79 Pannel Egboh is well deserved. Here are some pictures:










He is big, strong, quick off the edge and uses his feet well. Even in a less than intense environment he stood out to me not only in individual drills but in team drills. He is definitely a guy to watch.

I still think Kamerion Wimbley is probably our best defensive lineman. 



Derrick Morgan ran mostly with the 2's and from all appearances needs a strong camp to remain in the good graces of the coaching staff. He looks leaner to me from last year and i think that is a good thing. I thought he came in too bulked up last year and that made him wear down more quickly.





I thought the defensive backs had a rough day. I do continue to be impressed with Jordan Babineaux and think he is having an excellent camp so far. Jason McCourty is having a solid camp as well.





On offense, Chris Johnson certainly looks hungrier this year and let's hope that translates into a good year for him. His shoes are fantastic too.


I didn't see Ringer much in action but I am impressed with what i have seen of Jamie Harper and Herb Donaldson. Hard runners and Jamie has quick feet. He puts me in the mind of LenDale White with a much better work ethic. I have high hopes for that guy.


As far as the receiving corp goes Damien Williams has really stood out to me. He seems like he has bulked up and looks focused to have a good year. I have high hopes for a big season for him. Nate Washington has been solid and Jared Cook is making plays as well. Marc Mariani had a nice practice today also. I haven't yet gotten a good feel for Hawkins.






Hawk

Nate the Great


 
As for the linebacking corps I continue to be impressed with Colin McCarthy. Akeem Ayers has bulked up but doesn't seem to have lost speed. We still seem to have trouble defending the middle and that concerns me. Gerald McRath didn't practice and I still don't know why.


Breathe if you love football :)





That's it for today. I hope to try and look more closely at position groups in the near future.



No comments: